Review: Funk Night 3.27.09

Alex Calhoun —  March 30, 2009 — Leave a comment

So this was my first Funk Night in the D, but like all other things, I seem to always be on that late tip. I had heard a lot of great things about this monthly from an acquaintance who lived near Wayne State, but for some reason, I never got around to checking it out till this past Friday. First off I have to say the venue was fantastic. Very ravey, big drafty old warehouse called Hogans Food. Seriously you could have separate performances in that place it was so big. The crowd was quite young(or maybe I’m just getting old), and looked to be a consistent 75% WSU/CCS students, and the other 25% local night freaks. The improvised bar was efficient, and for only having kegs, they had a tasty local beer from Atwater. However, most patrons took advantage of the BYOB options. The music was exactly what the night promised, funk and soul, lots of hot old school 45’s. I can’t really get down to the funk that much, but a lot of the crowd was lovin it. The same situation would have been 10 times hotter with techno bangin in the main room, and house bumpin in the back. Glad I finally got to see what all the hype was all about, and if I end up attending again, I’ll definetly use the BYOB option to stumble around with a 40 and a fifth and get all silly with the funk.

Alex Calhoun

Posts

Alex Calhoun is a writer, vinyl collector, and lover of all things odd and electronic. He currently lives in the Detroit Metro area.
March 2009
M T W T F S S
« Feb   Apr »
 1
2345678
9101112131415
16171819202122
23242526272829
3031  

No Comments

Be the first to start the conversation.

Leave a Reply

Text formatting is available via select HTML. <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>